Stories of my life.

Tuesday 27 February 2018

The Beginning - sort of

Hmm….how do I start, and what shall I write about my family? I am spoilt for choice, as I have two families I could write about!

Doris May (nee Donaldson) Fox









My birth family name is Fox, my mother was Doris May Donaldson, and my father was Arthur Fox; however, due to sad circumstances she was unable to look after me; and myself, along with my two elder sisters and brother, we were fostered out.



Tom and Flora - C.1950s


At about three months of age, I went to live with Thomas Ritchie 
McGoram (Dad) and Jessie Flora Roberta (nee Rose) McGoram (Mum), in Ellerslie, Auckland, New Zealand, I lived with the McGoram family until I left home to be married in 1969. Tom and Flora were unable to have children of their own, and they adopted three children, John, Dorothy and Robyn, and fostered six of us, (Jim, Janet, Mags, Michael, Rose and Ian), who were not up for adoption. The nine of us lived with Mum and Dad until we either were married, or left home, to fend for  ourselves, as one did in those days. The McGoram family come from varied ethnic backgrounds, we see no difference, as this the only family we know.


Flora's 80th Birthday surprise party - 1982
L-R: Jim, Rose, Robin, John, Dorothy, Selma-Janet, Ian
Front: Mum - Flora






Sadly our brother Mackel and sister, Mags were not able to come to Mum's surprise 80th birthday party in 1982. 

The photo below was taken at Jim's place on Boxing Day, 1988. Sadly, Robin had passed away, and Mags was not able to join us on the day. 


Back L-R: Jim, John, Mackel, Ian.
Front: Rose, Dorothy, Selma-Janet. c.1988

No comments:

Post a Comment